- 2 1/4 cups frozen watermelon cubes
- 1/2+ cup water
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large lemon, squeezed (lime juice also works very well! use 2 limes)
- 1 fresh banana
- optional: 2 shots of tequila (or sub with more water or fruit juice)
- also optional: a few dashes of cayenne powder in the blender or over top when you serve!
- Garnish: a few slices of watermelon - with rind on - frozen.
- Garnish with frozen watermelon/rind slices.
Purple Pesto Pasta (Red Cabbage Pesto)
- 1/4 head red cabbage, chopped coarsely
- Several tablespoons olive oil (it will depend on how large your cabbage is)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup whole wheat penne (other pastas would work just fine)
- Pulse cabbage, garlic, sunflower seeds and a few pinches of salt in food processor (it might work in blender, too–let me know if you try it).
- Add olive oil in a thin stream through the food processor tube while pulsing, until the mixture forms a paste. (Because of cabbage’s texture, this will never reach the same pastiness of a basil pesto–as soon as it starts sticking together, you’re good.) Taste for salt, and add more if necessary.
- Put a pot of water to boil. Cook penne in boiling water for 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving a bit of pasta water. Toss several spoonfuls of the purple pesto and pasta water with pasta in the still-warm pot. Top with toasted sunflower seeds (I also added some baby asparagus I had around, steamed).
Strawberry and Avocado Salsa
makes 2 cups
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup avocado, cut into small pieces
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything.
- 8 mint leaves
- 1.5 oz unaged corn whiskey (I used Georgia Moon)
- 1 oz fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- .75 oz simple syrup
- Place the mint and simple syrup in your shaker and muddle. Add the lemon juice and moonshine, fill the shaker with ice, and shake and strain into an ice-filled glass.